Getting 7-8 hours of sleep each night is vital for our day. Even as busy adults we still need quality sleep to ensure that we aren’t zombies for the entire day.
The list of benefits to sleeping is endless. If you’re not sleeping it’s going to impact your energy, your mood and your overall health. Having a healthy sleep routine before going to bed will help get you to sleep faster and keep you sleeping longer. Here are a few things to consider tonight before placing your head on your pillow.
- Late Night Snacks – The late night munchies spell disaster for more than your diet. Eating and drinking too close to your bedtime can cause heartburn and the need to use the bathroom during the night. Fill up on a healthy dinner so you’re not tempted to snack!
- Anxiety – Worries from the work day keeping you awake? Lying awake thinking will only cause you more anxiety! Break the cycle by reading a book until you’re tired and relaxed enough to doze off.
- Temperature – If you’re too hot or too cold, odds are, you will wake up in the middle of the night. Before bed, find the ideal temperature using your thermostat and a blanket, so you can sleep soundly through the night.
- Electronics – Too much stimulation (and artificial light) before bed can make falling asleep incredibly difficult.
- Alcohol – Having a nightcap before bed may sound tempting, but even though it may make you feel sleepy, it fragments your sleep. To wake up feeling less zombie-like, skip the alcohol.
Don’t try to fix everything at once. Pick one at a time and master it for a week or more before adding to your plate.
Need help creating healthier habits like sleep, nutrition and exercise? Click the button below and schedule a over-the-phone consult with one of our coaches.